Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Food and My Future

Today, I talked with our chef, Trudy, about cooking and being a personal chef. Her whole back-story sounds just like mine! I love planning, having people over, giving parties, making food, and just making people happy. Like Trudy, everything I do somehow seems connected with food somehow. I'd like to help people be healthy too. Cooking just seems to combine so many elements of what I'm interested in doing in my life! Maybe i'll take a nutrition class in the future like she suggested.


Education – some people may ask me in the future: why would you get a Harvard degree just to cook? But education is much more than just about finding a career. It’s to learn about yourself and what you’re interested in, meet incredible people who also want to make a difference in the world, etc. I can always use my Harvard credentials in the future since it will always we an asset/back up for me. My life is not just going to be one career path, or one right route. I like to think of my life as a meandering one-- I can try different careers, and see what fits. I'd like to travel, work in hospitality, do non-profit work, social entrepreneurship, be a hostess at a restaurant, try being a waitress at some point, perhaps try consulting, and so much more! And cooking is definitely on my list because it just brings so many aspects of my life together: food, people, happiness, health, hospitality, possibly travel, helping people, etc. I'm excited.


I definitely do have a passion for food. It surprised me when I started baking and cooking again over this break because I've forgotten the joys it gave me. When I started cooking again a few weeks ago, I was having so much fun that I didn't even want to go to sleep at 3 am! But in the end, after baking for hours, I told myself that I should go to bed and rest up for more cooking in the morning. 


Food and cooking is great. Everyone cares about food and needs it. It’s like people glue, like me.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are definitely "people glue." You have a natural talent for bringing people together in a thoughtful and fun way. Your grandmother used food as a way of communicating her love. Food may be the tool with which you do your "people glue" thing. I suspect you will be glueing people on a much larger scale, using food. Perhaps that's where your Harvard cred will come into play. Can't wait to see where this ride takes you. All I know is that whereever it goes, it will be yummy and full of love!

    ReplyDelete