Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Places I Want to Eat At"

Ever since I left home in early August, 2009, I've created a "Places I Want to Eat At" list of restaurants and foods (listed in the side column if you'd like to see).

I've been craving Khana Peena's lunch buffet for about 4 months now so it was amazing when my mom took me to there for lunch last thursday! I ate soooo much there. My favorite dish there is their Chicken Tikka Marsala. INCREDIBLE. If you haven't tried their buffet, GO (5316 College Avenue Oakland, CA 94618). SO GOOD. mmm it's making me hungry even thinking about it now. I should have taken a picture of it so you could see just how delicious it was. I like to put the curries over salad, with a little bit of basmati rice. And of course you can't forget about their nan. amazing. I also like their vegetable korma, lentil curry, aloo saag (spinach/potato dish-- but i just like the spinach), etc. mmm such a delicious meal. I was full after about 1 1/2 plates, but nope, I couldn't stop because it was just that good. So I had at least another plate! After that meal, I felt more full than I had in ages. But it was very satisfying :). ahhh.

It was nice catching up with mom at lunch because we've both been really busy with work. I'm at school and she's busy with all her meetings! I'm glad we finally could spend a lunch together talking. We brainstormed a lot about my amazon book selling business and how it could help CPS. I might write a Pepsi grant soon! I'll write more about this later, perhaps. But thank you so much for taking me out to lunch mom! I really loved spending that time with you, and eating that delicious food :).

Usually I get hungry every 3 hours, but not today. I didn't need to eat again until 6:45 when Mas and I went to Zachary's (another amazing place which was on my list!).

Zachary's makes these delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizzas. Mason and I shared a small (serves 2-3 people so I guess we're each about 1 1/2 people!) spinach, mushroom and pepperoni pizza. Well, mason's side had the pepperoni. Mine didn't cuz I don't eat pork. It was so yummy. We had to wait about 40 minutes for the pizza but it was worth it. The wait was also nice because it allowed Mason and me to catch up a bit, when he wasn't doing his Chinese homework :). I'm glad we had a chance to have dinner together because we've both been really busy these past few days/weeks: he has homework and school and studying for finals which are next week, and I am working in the alumni office at CPS most of the day and spending time with other friends. So dinner was very nice.

So on Thursday, I've satisfied my cravings for 2 more restaurants on my restaurants-to-go-to-list. YESSS!

The next night, Friday, I checked off another place: Old Emeryville's Public Market! I've been hoping to go to the Afghan restaurant there for ages.


Mom, Mason and Dad at Old Emeryville!

I love their spinach chicken curry and their yellow curry so I was delighted that we finally went. Usually, they give me 2 kinds of curries over saffron jasmine rice and a bit of salad. This time however, they were really nice! I went there earlier, because we were waiting for dad to come before we ordered food, so I went over to check out the food. I promised the servers I'd be back, and they said that they would give me 4 different dishes for the price of 1 or 2 or something. I just laughed and didn't think they actually would do that for me! Thus, I was very surprised when they made my plate with 4 different chicken curry dishes :). I asked them to put the curries over salad, and a little rice, because I like the salad as a bottom now. It adds a nice crunch to each mouthful. They gave me my two usuals, a spicy chicken and another good chicken dish. I was SO happy!

1 comment: