Saturday, November 3, 2012

"Yes, Let's!" Moments


It's nice to finally reflect again. It's been a few weeks. Three weekends ago, I participated in a flash mob in Boston at Fanieul Hall for Obama! Initially, I wasn't sure if I could do it since I'd have to go to rehearsals away from campus. I was dragging my feet but then realized that Ye-ye would have wanted me to grow by trying new things. If you step outside of your comfort zone, that becomes your new comfort zone! I've discovered that if there's something that I resist doing because it seems like too much work, it's probably the best things for me.


National Dance for Obama Flashmob in Boston!

I made some new friends in the process

So October 13, 2012 at 3 pm people in 20 cities across the country simultaneously started dancing to "Forward," a mash up of different Obama speeches featuring Bellringer. I knew that I would probably never participate in another flash mob, so here was my chance. I'm really glad that I decided to take the leap and participate.

That same weekend, Pam and I went on a fantastic walk/run to her favorite park! I usually don’t run but this was really nice. I’m glad I got to spend time with you, Pam! Thank you for showing me your special place. It meant a lot to me :).


Then two weeks ago, I went with a bunch of my friends to Cape Cod to celebrate Steve’s 23rd birthday! Again, initially I wanted to just stay in Boston, because it's easier to say no, and do what you usually do: work, sleep, party, etc. But I knew that I should get outside of the Harvard bubble, and say "yes, let's!" to new opportunities. These experiences are the ones that we're going to remember in the future, not another weekend doing the same thing. 


Cape Cod Beach with Josh, Weishen and Steve!

With Brittney and Cassie!

We had an incredible weekend on the Cape Cod visiting the beach, Provincetown, and just relaxing. I’m so glad that Steve invited us. I actually got more work done away than I usually do on campus! This just showed me that balancing work and fun is the best situation. And being in a relaxing environment is really therapeutic. Harvard is a crazy stress bubble so it’s really refreshing to get out into the real world again.

Steve’s mom, Meg, was a fantastic host. She baked us chocolate chip and currant scones Saturday morning for breakfast, with fresh fruit, greek yogurt and homemade granola! Then we made our own pizzas for lunch. For dinner, she made bbq ribs, carrot slaw, asparagus, mushroom rice, etc. For dessert, Meg made chocolate whipcream pie! Everything was soooo delicious. I absolutely loved their house because it reminded me a lot of my own—same warm, home-y feeling, similar building materials, lots of light, etc. It reminded me how wonderful it is to have a nice kitchen-- I can’t wait to use my kitchen again when I’m home for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Making pizzas in the kitchen! 

And this past weekend, I ran river run! I was going to just walk/jog it to support Kirkland in the House Intramurals. But everyone was so pumped about it on Sunday that I was inspired to run too. The guys' run was 3-3:30, girls' from 3:30-4. We definitely beat everyone else in size-- there were probably about 75 of us. It was drizzling slightly, but otherwise was the perfect climate to run. I haven't run since middle school (jogged sporadically) but never timed since middle school when we had to run the mile which I'd avoid like the plague... Back in middle school, my mile time was 9:25 min. This time I ran 1.7 miles in 12:37 min, which is less than a 7 minute mile!! I was one of the top girls in Kirkland which was nice. I was dying at the end a bit, but glad that Weishen came to pace me at the end to rally me on. I had a burst of energy on the last downhill stretch and was sooo glad to cross the finish line! I'm really glad I said, "yes, let's!" to running this because now I know I can run much faster than I used to. 2 1/2 minutes faster at least :).


When you have an opportunity and are deciding whether to take it or not, remember, "yes, let's!" You can expand your comfort zone and have more memorable moments. I'd love to hear how seizing those opportunities changes your life like is has changed mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment